See How VOR is keeping patients and staff safe
The health and safety of our patients and our staff members is our top priority. VOR has put in place extensive safety measures during this pandemic, in accordance with Public Health Ontario and the Ministry of Health, along with requirements from our respective regulatory Colleges.
Virtual telehealth appointments are recommended for appropriate patients who are either higher risk or who do not feel comfortable coming into the clinic. Click below for additional information specific to Telehealth.
Below are some of the mandatory protocols we have put into place to try to keep all visitors and staff safe:
- Staggered appointment times to facilitate social distancing.
- Limiting the number of people in the clinic, including staff to promote social distancing.
- Physiotherapy initial assessments are now scheduled in 2 separate sessions: 30 min telehealth for intake questions followed by 45-60 min assessment in clinic if patient feels comfortable coming in the clinic.
- If patient does not feel comfortable coming into the clinic, the full 75-90 min assessment can be conducted over telehealth.
- Physiotherapy follow up treatments will be 35-40 mins in duration to allow 15 mins between each patient for dis-infection and appropriate cleaning.
2. Traffic Flow & Social Distancing:
- Social distancing is encouraged at all times in the clinic. Staff and patients are encouraged to wait until a common area is cleared before entering to ensure proper social distancing.
- Only patients allowed in the clinic unless it is essential that the patient be accompanied (minor or person requiring special assistance). All additional persons to wait outside the clinic.
- Markers have been placed on the floor in the reception area for traffic flow.
- Patients are encouraged to wait outside until their appointment time.
- Few chairs in the reception area which are only used when absolutely required for safety reasons.
- Distancing of chairs in the in clinic reception area and waiting area outside of clinic.
- E-mailing of receipts to limit contact time and touch surfaces at the reception desk.
- Direct billing to insurers to limit contact at the front desk and provision of payment information ahead of time which is securely stored.
- Additional cleaning time between all appointments.
- Contractual commercial cleaners have heightened their standards for cleaning surfaces and are using industrial disinfection solutions multiple times/week.
- Extensive use of a bleach solution throughout the day, between every patient in treatment rooms and multiple times/day on high touch and horizontal surfaces.
- Front washroom is for hand washing only. If you require a key to the washroom down the hall before or after your appointment, please ask at the front desk. Washroom key will be wiped down and cleaned between all uses.
- Required hand washing or use of hand sanitizer upon arrival at the clinic.
- Hand sanitizer at the front reception desk and in all treatment rooms.
- Encouraging tap payment methods rather than touch pin pad. When the touch pad must be used, it is wiped with a disinfecting wipe between every transaction.
- Full shift masking for staff with surgical masks and mandatory masks for patients and visitors covering the nose, mouth, and chin, unless medically exempt.
- The use of face shields or goggles by the therapists for all treatment sessions when a 2 meter distance cannot be maintained between the therapist and the patient.
- Plexiglass barriers at the reception desk.
- The use of lab coats as a barrier for some manual therapy techniques.
5. Screening Policy
- Active screening of patients using Google Form 24 hours before their appointment time.
- Passive screening by signage on the main clinic door.
- Active screening of all patients and visitors upon arrival at the clinic by a staff member. Please take the time to read the COVID symptom list and answer questions appropriately in accordance with Public Health requirements.
- Recording of all staff, patients, and visitor screening in a secure database for a period of 30 days.
Here is a link to our Patient and Visitor Screening Questions. These must be completed before entering the clinic in accordance with Public Health requirements.
Although VOR has put into place rigorous infection control procedures which meet or exceed Public Health guidelines to try and mitigate the risk of exposure to COVID-19, there is an inherent risk to coming into the clinic for your treatment. There is still the possibility of contracting COVID-19 when exposed to people or environments. If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to ask directly for clarification.
Virtual appointments are available for Physiotherapy, Occupational Therapy, Athletic Therapy, Registered Dietician, and Social Work. The College of Physiotherapists of Ontario does recommend the use of telehealth whenever possible and prioritizes telehealth over in-clinic appointments.
If you would prefer to avoid contact with the clinic at this time, we can still provide great care through virtual telehealth. Below is a list of essential information to try and provide you with the highest quality telehealth call:
- We use a secure double encrypted platform called Doxy. Doxy is compliant with all PHIPA, PIPEDA and GDPR privacy requirements.
- Your confirmation e-mail for your appointment will be sent to you 24-48 hours before your appointment time. The secure link for Doxy telehealth will be provided in the email. Here is the link for Doxy https://doxy.me/vorphysiotherapy
- 5 minutes before your appointment time, please click on the link and Doxy will open as a separate tab on your computer. Here is a screen shot of what to expect when you login:
- A welcome box will appear. Please enter your name and click on “Check In” to proceed into the Waiting Room. Please wait in the waiting room for your therapist to start your private call.
- Tips for a high quality Doxy call:
- It is preferable to use a tablet, laptop or desktop computer. Phones are not ideal but can be used if necessary.
- When possible, use a computer with a wired connection (Ethernet cable) such as a desktop computer. Wifi devices are more susceptible to inconsistent calls.
- Please turn off other wifi devices in the home such as Netflix, music, other cell phone data or other wifi electric devices to ensure a high quality call with your therapist.
- Please close unused programs on your computer device.
- Using Firefox as the browser when on Doxy may cause more glitches and delays. It is suggested you use the latest browser version.
- When you login to Doxy you may need to give permission for your camera and microphone to be accessed.
- Please have your phone available beside you when on a computer Doxy appointment. If during your Doxy meeting you are experiencing audio difficulties such as glitches or feedback, we can turn off the audio on the computer and proceed with a telephone call.
- Your therapist may be wearing headphones during the call to limit background noise and distractions.