What is a concussion?
A concussion is a type of mild traumatic brain injury. Current research is unsure exactly what occurs to the cells of the brain; however, the best theory suggests that there is a change in the chemical function of the brain that affects how it operates. Most symptoms resolve by themselves within a short time period. However, if symptoms persist this can lead to serious long-term health effects and can significantly affect your life.
Did you know?
- A concussion can be caused by a DIRECT blow to the head or an INDIRECT blow to the body. Example: car accident, a fall, or a sports injury.
- Signs and symptoms of concussion can appear immediately or develop several days later.
- Once a person suffers a concussion, even a mild bump on the head or a simple fall, can further aggravate the already sensitized tissues of the brain.
- Problems with balance, dizziness, and headaches can last for a while (up to 40 + days) after the injury.
What are the symptoms of a concussion?
There can be a wide variety of symptoms which may appear right after the injury or may develop days or weeks later.
Common symptoms of a concussion that can be helped by Physiotherapy include:
- Neck pain
- Visual changes
- Balance and walking changes
- Motion sensitivity
- Sleep disturbances
Other symptoms after a concussion may include:
- Memory changes and confusion
- Mood changes
- Slurred speech
Every person’s brain is different and every injury is different. No person experiences a concussion the same way.
What can you expect during a Physiotherapy concussion assessment?
Our Physiotherapists will ask you specific and detailed questions about your symptoms. During the clinical assessment, we will examine your neck movement, head and eye coordination, memory and concentration, balance, motion sensitivity, and determine tolerance for exertion.
The duration of your assessment will be up to 75 minutes.
What is Concussion Rehabilitation?
All of our treatments are one-to-one with a Physiotherapist or Athletic Therapist and are up to 40 minutes in duration. All treatments are INDIVIDUALIZED and are SPECIFIC to fit YOUR TOLERANCES.
Your treatment may include:
- Pacing and planning strategies
- Manual therapy for joint and muscle restrictions
- Visual and vestibular exercises
- An aerobic and strengthening program
- Memory and concentration strategies
- Neck exercises
- Pain management to relieve headaches and symptoms
- Massage therapy
Our goal is to help you return to sport, school, work, hobbies, and your social life.
Why choose VOR for your Concussion concerns?
Several of our team Physiotherapists have received extensive training in the management of post-concussion syndrome. We have new technology that uses diagnostics VIRTUAL REALITY TESTING, that can accurately track eye movements and vestibular function. We are the FIRST clinic in Ontario to provide this service. See the Saccade Analytics link below for further information.
- The majority of individuals recover from concussion within a week or two.
- Concussions are a functional problem with the brain and as such will not show up on X-rays, CT scans or MRI investigations.
- Premature return to activity (school, work, sports) can increase the risk of another concussion and prolong your recovery.
- PREVENTION of a concussion is the ONLY sure way to manage this clinical syndrome!!!
- Don’t ignore your symptoms – Get your brain the help it needs!!!